Thinking about straightening your teeth and getting your dream smile? You might have heard about an alternative to traditional wire braces known as clear braces or Invisalign, one of the most popular creators of clear braces.
Today we’ll explain what clear braces are, who they’re for, how much they cost, and how you can get them.
What Are Clear Braces/Invisalign?
Clear braces are a method of straightening teeth without the use of traditional wires and brackets. Instead, clear braces use clear trays (like in the image to the left), otherwise known as aligners, to gently straighten your teeth.
Every 2 weeks your clear braces trays are changed, slowly moving your teeth to their ideal position.
Clear braces are typically faster than wire braces, with an average treatment of 12 months, compared to 2-3 years.
The biggest benefit of clear braces is that they’re virtually invisible in your mouth. Unlike traditional braces, people won’t know that you’re wearing braces throughout the treatment.
You can also take them out to eat, so you never have to worry about food stuck in your braces.
How Does Invisalign Work?
When you begin treatment with Invisalign, we use an intraoral camera to look at the current position of your teeth and determine the best way to straighten them.
We then use these images to create a series of clear aligner trays that will slowly move your teeth into the correct position. Every 2 weeks you put in a new tray that is closer to the final position of your teeth.
The process typically takes about 1 year and you can start to see results in as little as 3 months.
Who is a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
The best way to know if Invisalign is for you, is to come in for a free consultation.
Invisalign is typically used to treat the following issues:
- Spacing between teeth
- Cross bite – When the upper and lower jaws are misaligned
- Open bite – When front teeth are not touching even when the mouth is closed
What are the Benefits of Invisalign?
Invisalign has many benefits over traditional braces
- Invisible – you can’t tell you’re wearing them compared to traditional braces, which are very obvious.
- Shorter Treatment Time – Traditional braces are typically worn 2-3 years, while clear braces are typically only used for 1 year.
- Eat and drink what you want – Clear aligners are removed when you eat and drink, so you don’t have to worry about avoiding certain foods or anything getting stuck in your braces.
- Painless – Most people describe a slight pressure when they put in a new aligner, but typically there is not any pain compared to the painful tightening appointments of braces.
- Easier Appointments – Your dental appointments will be quick and painless, no tightening of brackets. We just want to check your progress and give you your new trays.
- Less Maintenance – You can remove your clear aligners when you brush your teeth, making it much easier to clean your teeth compared to traditional brace.
How Long do I Have to Wear Invisalign for?
The typical treatment time for most people is 1 year, although it can be up to two. Many of our patients have told us that they begin to get positive feedback from friends and family in as little as 3 months!
How does Invisalign Compare to Traditional Wire Braces?
The chart below should give you a good idea of the benefits of Invisalign compared to traditional wire braces:
What are the Benefits of Straightening your Teeth?
Straight teeth will not only give you a beautiful smile but straight teeth also:
- Less wear: Straight teeth can prevent unnecessary force on the teeth and supporting bone jay joints, preventing headaches and jaw aches. It also helps prevent chipping and wearing down of teeth.
- Easier to clean: Straight teeth are easier to clean, reducing the chances of plaque buildup, tooth decay, or gum disease.
- Healthier gums – Straight teeth are easier to brush and floss, prevent bacteria buildup and gum inflammation. Gums also fit more tightly around straight teeth, which may lead to better periodontal health.
Overall, straighter teeth that fit together properly are likelier to last longer and require less costly dentistry.
How Much does Invisalign Typically Cost?
It depends on your teeth and what how much your teeth need to move, but you may be surprised how affordable treatment can be. To get an estimate, come in for a free consultation. You’ll get a complete quote, and you can learn about interest-free payment plan options.
To schedule your free consultation, just give us a call at [phone]!
Is Invisalign Painful?
No! Most people report a feeling of slight pressure when they insert a new aligner for the first time. This typically goes away within 24 hours.
There are also no wires like in traditional braces, which people sometimes complain can irritate the inside of their mouth.
I hope that answers any questions you have. If you have any other questions, just give us a call at [phone].
If you’d like to learn more at a free consultation with our dentist, Dr. [last name], just call us at [phone].