Sedation dentistry has become popular in the last decade because of the benefits it offers for patients.
For some patients, sedation dentistry is the only way that they can get the dental care they need and improve their dental health.
- Increased relaxation and comfort
- Control of gag reflex
- Little or no memory of treatment (good for patients that have previously had a bad experience)
- Time-saving – fewer appointments needed to complete treatment
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the use of medication to sedate a patient and help them relax while getting a dental treatment.
It is often used for people that are scared of the dentist, afraid of needles, those with a sensitive gag reflex, or anyone that finds it very difficult to sit still for long periods of time.
Different Levels of Sedation
At [practice name] we offer three levels of sedation:
- Nitrous oxide is more commonly known as “laughing gas,” and it’s a great choice for patients who need just a little extra help with feeling comfortable in the dentist’s chair. Patients inhale the gas through a mask that fits over the nose, and once it’s removed, the effects go away within minutes. This means you can even drive yourself home from your appointment!
- Oral conscious sedation is a more moderate sedation where patients are provided with a prescription and instructed to take it at a certain time before their appointment. Once the effects take hold, you should enter a deep state of relaxation while still remaining aware enough to respond to Dr. [last name]’s requests.
- IV sedation is a more advanced form of sedation that’s administered intravenously. This allows our team to control the dosage amount more easily and ensure that you’re completely at ease. Dr. [last name] has undergone advanced training in dental anesthesiology, and she’s fully licensed and certified to provide IV sedation and the rest of these helpful techniques in [state].
One of the Biggest Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
For many patients with a severe phobia of the dentist, the days or weeks leading up to an appointment can be very stressful. Knowing there’s an option that will make the appointment painless and stress-free can be a huge relief and make it a breeze to get necessary dental work done.
It can also mean that treatments get done faster and with fewer appointments. If you’ve been avoiding the dentist because of fear, then sedation dentistry is probably a great option for you.
To find out more about sedation dentistry, call our office at [phone] or email us at [email] to schedule a free consultation with the dentist.